Monday, 13 July 2026

Billy Bragg in Montreal: Activism reactivated!

Louis and I went to see the bould Billy Bragg at the Corona. A new experience for Louis, this was my third time to see the Bard of Barking. There was Dallas in 1993'ish where the audience interaction was a bit challenging (some good ol boys didn't appreciate being lectured about Vietnam); then Dublin in 2004'ish which was a joyous meeting of minds.

Billy was in great form with his original stripped-down sound: just himself and his guitars with a keyboardist. The old songs sounded so good. A Lover Sings was a highlight, and so too The Milkman of Human Kindness - I sang along at the top of my voice and couldn't believe that there were others in Montreal who knew the words!

I told Louis it would be Political with a capital P, but I think he was surprised when we all had our fists in the air singing There's Power in a Union! But he was fully onboard for A New England

What a great night!



No comments:

Post a Comment