Friday 24 March 2023

Irish songs we learned at school

Well I learned them at school in Dublin, but my sons learned them in the car on the way to their French school in Montreal, thanks to the album by John Spillane. I re-discovered the CD last month as I cleared out the car before selling it, and the boys were filled with nostalgia. They still know lots of the words, pronouncing them almost perfectly in imitation of Spillane's Kerry Gaelic, though they've no idea what they mean. They were stunned to learn that 'An Poc ar Buile' was about an angry goat!

Turn up the volume!


They're young men now, no longer boys. And the VW has left us after sixteen Montreal winters of ice salt and potholes.


My new VW GTi in September 2007

When I sold it in January 2023

I feel those sixteen years too.


No comments:

Post a Comment