Friday 24 March 2023

Reading list

I haven't updated the list of books I've read since a post in August 2021. Here's my reading list for the period September 2021 to December 2022.

Fiction

Barnes, Julian: Levels of Life

Barrett, Colin: Homesickness

Borges, Jorge Luis: Labyrinths

Cusk, Rachel: Second Place

Erskine, Wendy: Dance Move

Galgut, Damon: The Promise

Ishiguro, Kazuo: Klara and the Sun

Jean, Michel: Kukum

Keegan, Clare: Small Things Like These

Magee, Audrey: The Colony

Mansfield, Katherine: Selected Stories

Mitchell, David: The thousand autumns of Jacob De Zoet

Murnane, Gerald: The Plains

Rooney, Sally: Beautiful World, Where Are You

Saramago, José: Blindness

Shafak, Elif: Three daughters of Eve

Tóibín, Colm: The Testament of Mary

Woolf, Virgina / Emre, Merve: The annotated Mrs Dalloway

My top three would be the books by Magee, Mitchell, and Saramago, with honorable mentions for Ishiguro and Tóibín. I didn't get on at all with the book by Murnane, simply finding it dull. The book by Sally Rooney was good, she writes well, but I really don't understand what all the hype is about. The narrator's voice in Rachel Cusk's 'Second Place' got on my nerves a bit, but thinking about it afterwards I sense that was deliberate on Cusk's part and I've resolved to read the book again.

I also read a lot of non-fiction and particularly enjoyed the personal history 'We Don't Know Ourselves' by Fintan O'Toole. His Ireland is also my Ireland, and unfortunately it includes the perverted and sexually abusive Christian Brother we both encountered in Colaiste Chaoimhin, me six years after him.


Poetry Collections

Caldwell, Anne: Alice and the North

Ducker, Christy: Skipper

Mahon, Derek: New Selected Poems

Ní Ghríofa, Doireann: Lies

Ní Ghríofa, Doireann: To Star the Dark

These are all great but the collection by Caldwell was particularly illuminating, showing me possibilities that I hadn't imagined before in a themed sequence of prose poems.


No comments:

Post a Comment